Thursday, September 21, 2006

Your trash is nothing but... trash

The Tennessean's article regarding "Salvation Army does not want your junk" is so true!

Got junk? The Salvation Army does, and it's tired of it.

Long known for their bargains, the Nashville-area Salvation Army thrift stores have been turned into dumping grounds, piling up car parts, soiled and shredded mattresses and loads of other unusable items.

The 6214 Charlotte Pike thrift store is down the road from me and every time I drive by, the loading dock visible from Charlotte Pike has the appearance of a overturned dumpster.



I worked at a local ministry sorting clothes that were donated for the Katrina relief and you would be appalled at the junk people donate. For clothing, I've seen grass stained pants, poop stained baby clothes, painted covered shirts... have people no shame?

For toiletries, I've seen half filled shampoo bottles, zipped lock bags of used soap bars, used hair brushes...

I could go on about flea infested, cat / dog haired blankets and other stuff, but I won't. I came close to ending up hating humanity in the midst of being charitable for a good cause.

I'll never understand human nature that compels some people in times of natural disaster to automatically clean out their garage and closets. Thanks for the hub caps and used tires. IGMOs.

No comments: