Friday, September 22, 2006

The joy of being a mascot...

or a walking billboard.



Today at Opryland Hotel, I encountered the TIVO mascot - he (or she) was a bit shy and didn't say much. Of course with no arms to gesture with or head to nod, I think the TIVO mascot was just trying to keep his balance. I did see him struggle to get out of the elevator, so maybe he was in no mood to talk, although he was kind enough to stop long enough have his picture taken. I think he wanted to keep moving so that he wouldn't leave a puddle of perspiration on the nice carpet.

I remember 30 years ago in Atlanta, there was a fuzzy bear mascot for a local rock n roll radio station. This bear was everywhere, especially at all the local concerts. As I recall, my room mate John and and I were at a Elvis Costello concert at the Fox Theatre. Now this bear didn't have a personalized name like Smokey or Fozzie, Yogi or Boo Boo, so I was wondering out loud if this bear was a he or she. The next thing I knew, John jumped up and asked the bear if it was a boy or girl. When the bear didn't respond, he reached for the bear's chest, where as the bear immediately slugged him, knocking off his glasses.

Girl bear.

No comments: