Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Power of Cheese over Dogs

My dogs simply go nuts over sliced cheese. They eat the $30 a bag good stuff from Pet Smart, don't beg from the dinner table and yes, have a healthy appetite for milk bones as their reward for using the potty outside. Plus they have a nice dog house and we let them lie on the sofa with us. But give them a piece of cheese as a reward and you can teach a dog anything.


Diggly (l) and Ally (r)

Ally - our really smart and very sweet 8 year lab/retriever knows how to sit, lay down, roll over, bark, go get the paper, get the shoes, fetch ice from the ice maker by pawing at the dispenser and "back door" (when she's at the front door, we just yell "back door") and she comes running.

Mrs. WonderDawg taught her all of these commands via sign language too!

Ally will also hold the back door open when we're bringing in the groceries, shake (left shake and right shake), get the toy, go see (look out the window), listen (to be on alert when somebody's coming in from the driveway), go night night (time to sleep with us in the bedroom), and kitchen (means get out of the living room). She also understands "do you want wah wah" (time for us to refill the water bowl) and ride? which means hop in the car. She loves to go riding, but the car trips are limited to those where I would never leave them alone in a car. That irks me when I see dogs in parked cars.

As for Diglett or Diggy, (our grand dog) she's learning. She knows more commands than she's willing to respond to. She's just too hyper to focus at times. My daughter taught Diggy to ring a bell when she wants to go out. Her reward is a milk bone, but she's playing us. No dog has to go out six times in a row, so with her, it's a up and down game. But to her credit, she likes to take baths - in fact, she'll bust out of the back door and head down to the creek for a quick dunk coming back dripping wet.

Diggy is naturally curious as well. One time, I picked her up and showed her the stuff on our shelves thinking that a dog needs to experience a whole new world four feet and above. Now she wants jump in my lap and sniff around the desk. leaving dog hair on the keyboard.

Where was I going with this? Right - one can teach any dog with cheese. Those really expensive doggie pills wrapped in cheese makes things better. Thanks Kroger for the 3 packs of 16 individually wrapped cheese slices for $5.00.

We taught Ally how to talk also. Our previous dog Abby ( a homeless and extremely grateful terrier) could say "Hi!" to anybody who came to the door. Ally has this deep aggressive voice that emits a "woo woo ah wooooooo wah wah wah" phrase when we offer up some cheese. One time we got Megan to record an anouncement on the answering machine with Ally chiming in. "Thank you for calling the ... woo woo ah wooooooo wah wah wah ... residence. No one is home now, so please call back!" Unfortunately, my mother-in-law, the dog lover that she is, hated it. We got tired too of all the hangups.

Oh look - Ally is talking!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous!!!

Kathy T. said...

My dogs go ape shi* over cheese - yes the Kroger singles that are cheap. It's how I give them medicine, too. Works wonders! I need to figure out how to teach them to roll over etc. with hand signals. Can you teach them to bathe themselves?

Mike said...

I will have to try the chesse trick with my dog Smash. His favorite reward for doing tricks is lots of petthepuppy.

http://my-dog-smash.blogspot.com

Lynnster said...

OK, I am now officially crazy about your dogs. What good pups!

I started the milk bone for going out to potty reward with two who are no longer with us and it's carried on over the years, there have been times I have regretted ever starting that tradition though. Like on any occasion we have run out of treats temporarily! And nowadays Petey (who is all about food anyhow) spends each coming-in time jostling to see if he can sucker me out of a second milk bone. I am such a sucker.

Kat Coble said...

Oh how cute! I love dogchild stories.

Our two are so nuts over cheese, that they come running from the other side of the house if they hear the cheese drawer open for any reason. The fact that they can tell the difference between the sound of the cheese drawer and the sound of the veggie drawer still freaks me out.

ceeelcee said...

We learned that one of those tubes of string cheese can last forever with Nervous Nellie the Pudelhund. She is happy to get just a few molecules of cheese at a time because she loves the smell of our fingers so much when we give it to her.

Messy, but endearing. You've got some good `uns there.

p.s. Prepare to reformat your home page top make room for the influx of "Bloggers I've Personally Dined with at Mothership BBQ" after Saturday.

Jamie said...

My dogs would chew off their paw for a piece of Velveeta.

I also wanted to defend myself in advance, just in case you ever see my car in the Kroger parking lot. My dogs aren't necessarily welcome at dog parks and things for two reasons - the big one is pretty darn big, and their coloring lends people to believe that they are vicious (which they aren't).

They love love love going for rides, so I take them when I'm doing little errands. They get to ride around with me and are in the car for no longer than 10 to 15 minutes while I'm in Blockbuster or picking up a prescription.

So if you see two big scary looking wussies giving you sad eyes from a Jeep, don't feel bad for them...they're just trying to get you to take them in with you.

Kerry Woo said...

We bloggers love our dogs and cats - in the spring we must have a meetup/meatup at a local dog park!

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... I love them! and this post, well written with a lot of heart in it!

Got me to remember my old dog... He was a mixed breed of Lab and Boxer. He was black like Ally and even more grey haired than she is :-) I think that is so CUTE!

And: he didn't like to bark, but learned to bark on commando, it only took 1 pancake to learn that... *lol* BUT he tried to cheat sometimes by only "mumbling" and he did sound soooo funny then! He talked a lot to us.

Ah, they are so much fun!

Rachel said...

Oh, man. One of my cats will take cheese out of your hand. When it wasn't offered. And you're watching. I call this "blatant stealing," but kitty just shrugs. :)