Monday, September 11, 2006

Resting in the shadow of the Almighty

I woke up this morning with the song He Knows My Name written by Tommy Walker.

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands


Five years ago on September 11, 2005, I was sitting at home. Unemployed. Laid off. Looking hard. Feeling very fragile and pressing into God for provision, favor, mercy and grace.

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call


As I sat horrified at the breaking news that unfolded before my eyes, my heart sank and was despondent for the lives that were affected. Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters. Five years later, I'm still trying to process the events and comprehend my understanding of Why? Is there that much hate and venom that Americans must die? People are dying of Aids. Muslim women are bound up as second class human beings. Where do I fit in making a difference when myself and many others in a post 9-11 economy struggle to find work? I can't even provide for my family, yet I'm grieving for the lives lost.

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go


I'm sitting in Los Angeles that is a potential hotspot today on 9-11-2006. Nine million people moving around, each with their own struggles, hope and dreams. I shook my fist at God soon thereafter, as the checks ran out and nine months of seeking work like so many others cause me to question my own faith.

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call


My God did not fail me. I've got all the character I can stand now. I'm full of hope and especially today in rememberance of the 2996 innocent lives. Honor them by reading their stories. Pray for your family. Remember the men and women serving our armed forces. Ask for grace and mercy and protection. Be hopeful. I am.

Never forget those who died. My hope for you today is that may no harm befall you, may no disaster will come near your home.

No comments: