Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Culinary curiosity

I love to cook only because I love to eat. After all, Chinese people invented the all you can eat buffet and for that matter, the fork, spaghetti, paper and printing (for cookbooks).

My dad was a four star chef at Trader Vic's, and later was the banquet chef at the Washington, DC Hilton. He even cooked for President Richard Nixon. Later he opened his own takeout only Chinese restaurant, the Silver Moon in Richmond, Virginia. You had to call two hours in advance, because the food was that awesome.

Even my son Gary pursued a culinary career, but after 5 years, the long hours and weekends took its toll, which is why I never pursued the family restaurant business myself.

So after years of woking and grilling, I'm pretty much in a meat 'n' three mode with a bent on trying the occasional experiment only if low risk is involved, such as NOT ruining a good piece of meat or botching up expensive groceries.

I did try baking an oven roast on the grill last night with pretty good success. This was a inspired-by-funkenswine half hearted attempt on a modified basis. For the real deal, check out: Tim Morgan's inspired-by-funkenswine classic blog-u-mentary.

After concocting a dry rub of whatever was in the cupboard (pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic salt, paprika, cayenne and other stuff), I somewhat lovingly hand rubbed the oven roast and promptly placed the roast in a black skillet on the gas grill.

The problem was regulating the gas grill to stay at 350 degrees under the lid. Nonetheless, it took well over an hour, but I could stay focused on refurbishing a wooden bench while it sizzled on the gas grill. The finished product had a nice crisp exterior with a pink middle. Good enough and perfect for leftover sandwiches today.



Last month, I did make a meatloaf birthday cake for Mrs. WonderDawg, but it was too complex (and "bizarre").

However, I'm somewhat perplexed by this culinary attempt: Dishwasher Salmon.



Bob Bulmer claims: Poaching fish in the dishwasher is a virtually foolproof way to shock your friends, prepare a succulent meal and do the dishes -- all at the same time. I've poached salmon in more than 100 dishwashers on three continents. There's never been a dull party.

I've heard of fish cooking on top of the air cleaner in a old car while traveling or a potato in a exhaust muffler, but I always thought of those as cruel practical jokes designed to stink up a car or cause backfiring.

I sure hate to waste $15.00 on a good piece of salmon, while ruining a Bosch dishwasher with permanent fish smelliness morphing into widespread housitosis.

I'm not sure what to believe! Here's the full story and recipe. If you want to try it in your own dishwasher, let me know. Maybe we can hook up for some Electrasol Salmon. Yummy?

No comments: