Friday, February 24, 2006

Roll Over Beethoven


photo

Life is good when I can sit in front of my iMacG5, work from home, blog and listen to music!

Right now, I am listening to Coverville - a podcast, that focuses on cover songs - a new rendition of a previously recorded song. The show is produced and hosted by Brian Ibbott, in his home in Arvada, Colorado.

The show features a combination of music and information about the music, delivered in a very relaxed, informal style. On average, each show runs about 35 minutes and features six selections. Information about the performing artist, and source album is provided, along with information about the artist being covered. (You can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes).

Did you know that the Beatles are the most covered band? I'm listening to the 2nd Annual Beatles Thanksgiving podcast again.

I'm finding that cover songs are a good (and safe) way to be introduced to new musical artists; here's a subjective list of top cover songs!

I'm not Simon from American Idol nor would ever want those personality traits, but I would say that the following songs are in "A" rotation on my iTunes at this present moment because these artists are covering these songs with their own special imprint:

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughn aka Jimi Hendrix
Sexual Healing - Kate Bush aka Marvin Gaye
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Shawn Colvin aka Talking heads
Walk on the Wild Side & Tom's Diner (Ben Liebrand remix) - Lou Reed and Suzanne Vega
Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy aka Sting

No comments: