Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Where is blogging's community?



Phu Ly, a developer living in London caught my attention with this post from If..Else Log ...

Where is blogging's community?

It's interesting to note that whilst blogging is all about the people, there's a bit of a void when it comes to the community element. Why isn't there an accessible entry point where I can find tutorials on how to make the most of my blog and where I can find advice on the useful plugins available for TXP, WP and MT and reviews of recommended themes?

Where can I find interviews and articles written by seasoned bloggers?

Why have people chosen X and what have they done with Y?

Where can I find out about what's happening in the world of blogs?

Where can I talk to other bloggers of similar dispositions?

Why can't I have an attractive, appealing and accessible portal to the world of blogs?

Where is the blogging community that I've heard of?

Curious questions indeed. Here in Nashville, there is Nashville Is Talking ... As the name suggests, Nashville Is Talking is a blog devoted to the daily conversation that is news in the Greater Nashville community. I think the next step for us is to to start having regular meet ups in person like the bloggers do in North Carolina.

May I suggest another source? Rebecca's Pocket by Rebecca Blood - She describes her blog as "devoted to highlighting whatever catches my attention, and I'm interested in lots of things. Some recurring themes are media literacy, sustainability, web culture, and domestic life. I often post about current events. Contradictions intrigue me."

Also she is the author of. The Weblog Handbook: Practical Advice on Creating and Maintaining Your Blog published in July 2002.

Phu Ly asks "Where can I find interviews and articles written by seasoned bloggers?"

Rebecca provides 5 great interviews - with bloggers on blogging - and other resources on her site ... Here's the intros to the five bloggers, all worth a read -

Heather Armstrong created Dooce.com in February 2001 "with a post about Carnation milk, it being the best in the land". A year later she was fired from her job for writing about her co-workers, famously becoming the first person ever to be "dooced": fired for blogging. In August 2005, Dooce is ranked #9 on the Technorati Top 100.

Glenn Reynolds started his immensely popular weblog Instapundit in August 2001. GlennReynolds.com, hosted by MSNBC since January 2003, contains "longer, more op-edish stuff".

Matt Haughey is probably best-known as the creator of Metafilter, the first community weblog. In addition to Metafilter, Matt maintains three other websites: A Whole Lotta Nothing, his personal blog, PVRblog, which is focused on personal video recording devices, and Ten Years of My Life, where he is photographically documenting a decade of his life.

Jessamyn West created Librarian.net in April 1999 and has maintained Abada Abada as part of her personal site since January 1997. She also maintains two other websites, Bendypig and Jessamyn.info

Rashmi Sinha created Rashmi Sinha's Weblog: Thoughts about Cognition, Design, and Technology in 2001 when she launched her consultancy. In January 2002, Rashmi created a group blog, DialogNow, in the aftermath of the December 2001 standoff between India and Pakistan.

No comments: