Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Day 9 of 366 for 2008

This morning I was up and at 'em! Went to bed very early around 11 pm, got up at 6 am and was all set to jump in the car for my daily trek into downtown Nashville. I had a thin layer of frost on the windshield. Normally, I would throw on the defrost, spray some windshield fluid over and over while tuning in to NPR.

But I jumped out of the car, scraped the windshield, walked around the Honda and to my chagrin, the door was locked!

"Dude..."

I have never locked myself out of the car, ever. The house a couple of times. Unfortunately there was not a mini bathroom screen window on my Odyssey van to crawl my big butt through, so I asked my neighbor for my spare set of house keys, fully knowing that my spare key was on Mrs. WonderDawg's key chain. Thanks Frank!

So I called AAA. Two and 1/2 hours, Jerome came and popped the lock in 30 seconds.

I could have drove across town in Frank's car, gone to get my other key and been back before AAA showed up.

So here's my photo(s) of the day: Thanks Jerome. UDAMAN.

Locked Out - Jan. 9, 2008

Locked Out (2), Jan. 9, 2008

Some observations:

"“To will is to select a goal, determine a course of action that will bring one to that goal, and then hold to that action till the goal is reached. The key is action.”"

Leaving a car running for 2 1/2 hours in park with the defroster on full blast is not too bad, considering it was in my driveway and I had full access to the house. I did get highly paranoid about locking myself out of the house!

Step 1: I went online to AWDIRECT.com, but I cannot buy the kit that Jerome was using for obvious reasons - I have to be legit.



(pretty cool gadget - like a blood pressure/hot water bag/pump)

Step 2: Buy twenty car keys and scattered them among friends around Nashville.

Step 3: Devise a McGyver technique to unlock my car next time. (I heard that tennis balls work).

Stay tuned, I'm going to go try it out...



UPDATE: The tennis ball does not work, at least on Honda cars (Civic and Odyssey). In fact, one could hurt their back pushing on the ball or denting a door!

2 comments:

Sharon Cobb said...

That was hysterical.

Still loving your geekness!

Sharon

Judie said...

Kerry, I have always wondered if the "old tennis ball trick" would work...I feel disappointed that it doesn't! ;-)