Friday, February 16, 2007

A Palm Treo cradle - LEGO style

I was looking around for a charging cradle that would allow me to store my Palm Treo 650 or 680 in an upright position. Most of the ones that I’ve seen advertised range in price from $29 to $49 USD.

While esthetically useful, the practicality of obtaining a cradle meant having yet another spare power cable and sync cable stored away in a shoebox of miscellaneous wires and USB cables.

The ancient Greek phillospher Plato is quoted as saying “Necessity is the mother of invention,” which means that a need or problem encourages creative efforts to meet the need or solve the problem.

I’ve heard of and seen Apple iPods cradles made using wood, cardboard and LEGOs. Ah LEGOs - those wonderful and versatile studded interlocking plastic bricks!

I began to sketch out a design of a cradle made of LEGOs. I went out to my garage and began to rummage around through my collection of LEGOs in zipped locked bags.

Here’s what my imagination came up with (play along) :



MAKE THE JUMP TO READ THE REST and SEE MO' PICTURES - Article originally published at GearDiary.com - Everyone can understand technology; sometimes it just takes a little translating

No comments: