Thursday, February 01, 2007

It Never Snows in Nashville!

I'm like a little kid when it comes to snow - I stay up to 2 am to catch a glimpse of the snowflakes so that I can go to bed confident that when I get up four to six hours later, I'll be blinded by the sun reflecting on the perfect blanket of snow.

I want my dogs to romp around the back yard and be the first to leave their paw prints. I want Mrs. WonderDawg to call into the office and say she can't make it in. Later after spreading out newspapers on the kitchen floor to catch the wet shoes, I want to make a big batch of chilli, watch a lot of TV and listen for cars slowly driving up and down the street. I want to see the neighborhood kids build a family of snowmen. And I want to go next door to see Frank crank up his snow blower and later go riding with him in his 4 wheel drive truck to see which streets are passable.

Hard to do if it never snows in Nashville.

I wake up this morning to let the dogs out for their morning wee wee break and maybe - just maybe see in the dark some hint of snow. Instead I see what looked like spilled milk on my driveway. Is that all? We've been expecting one to two inches of snow; all I see is one to two centimeters on the ground.

After going back to bed, I wake up with the Albert Hammond song in my head, "It Never Rains In Southern California" with the revised lyrics:

Seems it never snows in Middle Tennessee
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in Tennessee, but girl don't they warn ya
It stinks, man it stinks.


So today, February 1 2007, not only do I not believe in the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus, but I no longer believe in the Weather Forecaster.

No comments: