Sunday, January 21, 2007

Blue Monday ?

Blue Monday: The unhappiest day of the year

The Daily Mail in the UK writes:

If you are feeling a little down then you can take solace in the thought that things are unlikely to get any worse.

Today, say experts, is the unhappiest day in the entire year.

Unpaid Christmas bills, nasty weather, and failed New Year's resolutions combine to make January 22 the gloomiest in the calendar.

We have the best of intentions thinking that a new year brings new hope. I wish that turning a page in the calendar is as easy as flipping a light switch to dispel the darkness that wants to creep in our lives. Unmet expectations as hard as we try will always fail us. It takes a lot of energy to forge ahead with our best laid plans.

I listen to Fats Domino sing "Blue Monday" and he is singing the cycle most find ourselves in:

Blue Monday how I hate Blue Monday
Got to work like a slave all day
Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
I'm so tired got no time to play

Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
And Friday I get my pay

Saturday mornin', oh Saturday mornin'
All my tiredness has gone away
Got my money and my honey
And I'm out on the stand to play

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess

I'm one that is generally positive - what winds me down is not having the funds to go and do... but I'm finding that while money is nice, there is great merit in the truth that the best things in life are free. I have to engage in those things that will lift my spirit. So to combat this seasonal funk, I'm bundling up, walking several laps around the backyard with my dogs (EXERCISE), seeing photo opportunties through a camera (HOBBY), engaging in conversation and life with healthy, positive friendships (RELATIONSHIPS), and having a heart of thankfulness and gratitude (FAITH).

O yeah, quit spending money - I've seen how the inability to pay bills have sidetracked many good people into the ditch. To be stupid rich for a day...

No comments: