Saturday, November 11, 2006

Too much stuff, so little time

When I saw this doormat over at 43 Folders, I just had to laugh at myself. For the longest time, I was very capable and always exceeded one's puzzlement for misplacing items. Actually not so much misplacing items, but rather having them scattered throughout the house.



life-hacky-door-mat

My keys, wallet, eyeglasses, checkbook, cash, credit card, cell phone would be in different locations. How could this be possible? I walk in from the grocery store, the keys are in the kitchen door, groceries are put away, I go to the bathroom to wash my hands and face, leaving the glasses on the counter, toss my wallet on the bedroom dresser, change pants with my debit card still in the pocket from not putting it back in the wallet at the store and then later, wondering were my cell phone is... which I left in the passenger seat of the car for easy access.

I didn't really think I was scatterbrained; a bit disorganized... MAYBE... or I always justified that creative people tend to scatter stuff around like leaving bread crumbs on a trail. OK, I just defined scatterbrained. Groan.

Yet, I can organize albums, CDs, computer files with ease. Google Desktop Search and Lookout, a utility for Outlook on the PC are awesome tools for computers. Getting Things Done has done wonders for my productivity.

Of course, leaving the house was always a challenge. The game of "Now where did I last leave my phone (or name a vital item)?" I could always call my cellphone from my landline. Note that landlines are good for recieving not only telemarketing calls at dinnertime, but useful for ringing one's missing cellphone. Only if the ringer is on. And if the phone is in the house.

So I tried for awhile leaving all my stuff on the corner of the dining room table, but it took up way too much space as I accumulated more tech stuff. Over the years, I used wicker baskets, but they kept getting bigger and bigger with no desk space to set the basket upon.

I remember back around 1999, I accompanied my pastor, mentor, spiritual father Don Finto to a speaking engagement at a local Promise Keepers event in Louisiana. We were at the Nashville airport bright and early at 6:00 am, feeling exuberated about the upcoming evening having just got our morning exercise from rolling our luggage from the short term parking lot. When it was time to board our Southwest flight, the attendant needed to see my id. I reached around to my back pocket... "O crap," I said, patting myself down. Yup, my wallet was on the dining room table.

Since I was wearing my Promise Keepers jacket and polo shirt, and the fact that my pastor was with me and everybody had a big laugh, I managed to get on board. Here I am, trying to be the good host, having to borrow twenty bucks... Crazy stuff. Long story with a good ending.

So these days, I'm much more organized - Thanks to The-Gadgeteer for the Maxpedition Thermite Versipack Gear Bag that I reviewed on their site. Leave it to women to organize men's lives!

At home, I keep all my stuff on a designated shelf with total piece of mind. Kevin McCormick is still looking for HIS wallet

No comments: