Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I can build that...

One of the things that drives Mrs. WonderDawg a little crazy is whenever we go out and about in the mall, I'll see a display table or a fixture with shirts and pants neatly stacked on top that is unique or different.



I'll say to myself, "I wonder if that will work in my garage..." At which point, I'll stop and look at the fixture for construction details and see how everything is pieced together.

Some of my favorite stores with practical fixtures include Old Navy with their modular display shelves on big casters, Pottery Barn with their shelves and other department stores with their custom mill work.

I did build a replica of the Pottery Barn shelves to place my tools on with mixed results. The finished project ended up being too top heavy with much weight and small caster wheels. The Pottery Barn store fixture is permantly anchored for greater stability. At the time, the manager was skittish on letting me take photos or measurements, so I had to rely on pencil sketches or peering through the windows when the store was closed.

I have to build something less ambitious - like this Titans mailbox that I saw in Berry Hill. This I can do, but I already have a wooden mailbox...



Perhaps an outdoor plant stand?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really one for decorative mailboxes myself, but this does look pretty nice. I fear it is fodder for mischievous youth with a baseball bat, though.

Kerry Woo said...

That's why in the country, mailboxes are filled with concrete... look closely and you'll spot a broken baseball bat or two along the road!