Saturday, October 28, 2006

The discontent of overpaying

Nothing stirs up discontent or dissatisfaction more as a consumer than checking prices AFTER making a purchase.

I've learned a long time ago to curb my impulsive buying habits and credit card stress by purchasing electronics / gadgets with proper due diligence by shopping around and settling on the final purchase. Back before the Internet, it meant reading the Sunday ads, going in the store undercover - meaning not having an eager beaver salesclerk birddog you throughout the store.

With all things being equal, and depending on where I like to shop, i.e. for electronics, back in the old days, Circuit City over H.H.Gregg or now BestBuy over CompUSA, 90 days same as cash always won out. Surprisingly, a lot of stores will give 10% extra discount by asking for it.

Discounts on power tools? Forget it! The local pawn shop is the only place making deals and usually the tools belong to some down-on-his-luck-carpenter who has to sell his tools from his livelihood to make ends meet. I don't want any part of that. They could be stolen tools too.

These days with internet access and Google for price shopping, I've gravitated to Buy.com, Apple, Amazon or a handful of boutique speciality stores. My friend, Steve has a geek approach to getting the best deals.

CNN Money has an article on The best time to buy everything.

So last week, I'm out and about shopping with my family for PUMPKINS.... I've never bought pumpkins before.

This particular place in Belle Meade had an precise pricing methodology.



From bottom to top: $1.00 to $12.00 and up (see the extra pumpkin to the right? That's my $8.00 selection)

Pick the pumpkin and they will price the pumpkin to the approximate size. So if your pumpkin is larger than the $7.00 standard and smaller than $8.00... hey, they'll eyeball it in .25 cent increments!


(here's Gary & Megan with one of the pumpkins)

When done, I'm thinking these pumpkins are expensive! Two for $18.00. Since a big church was selling them, I'm thinking they had an extra middleman in the mix plus a Belle Meade upcharge.

Afterwards, we head over to Walmart for Halloween decorations and while having fun with the family with Elmo buckets and rats eating your skull headwear, I make the mistake of looking at the Walmart pumpkins - $2.77 each!!!

Jag, I feel your pain... The Great Pumpkin sticker shock hit me square in the gut like I got overcharged big time with a smile.

Ridiculous!

On the other hand, I would look pretty stupid returning two pumpkins without a receipt. And I did get to take pictures of my kids in a pumpkin patch setting. Not so at Walmart.

So much for being frugal... (or some say cheap).

3 comments:

Kathy T. said...

I just didn't even bother getting a pumpkin this year. They attract gnats, you know.

red fish said...

My husband swears by newegg.com for discount prices on his toys.

Jamie said...

Next year, the Sam Walton Foundation will be getting my pumpkin money. Most definitely.