Friday, October 13, 2006

Cross Country research & advice needed

Just wondering, actually seriously wondering - has anyone ever driven cross country ?

I'm thinking about doing a trip from Nashville to Seattle to help my son transport his car.

We've always wanted to see an NFL game in every city, but this trip won't allow it with some of the cities Google Maps is mentioning with the exception of Kansas City and St. Louis. Most likely, this trip will be during the week, but as long as I have my laptop and wifi connections along the way, I can still work.



Trip length is 2,455 miles (about 1 day 17 hours) according to Google...

I am anxious to visit Seattle, having never been there. No doubt, I'll take tons of pictures along the way. No video blogging aka Amanda - shaky cameras give me motion sickness.

Any advice? (besides NOT telling bad jokes and NOT pumping the gas pedal...) We want to do this on the cheap, as the main task is transporting a car. I'll be flying back via Southwest.

Should I have a theme / concept to document? Like Forrest Gump? A BBQ / food theme? Roadside attractions?

6 comments:

Sarcastro said...

Plan on it taking longer than 1 day 17 hours. Google Maps doesn't factor in weather or construction. Apparently, it snows in them parts this time of year.

A father/son cross country road trip sounds pretty cool, though.

Good Luck.

ceeelcee said...

Speaking of themes, I once planned but never undertook a "Willin'" road trip from Tuscon to Tucamcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah.

For this trip, Sarcastro's right, weather matters a lot if you;re going after November 1.

The I-70 route and then northwest from Salt Lake City is probably more scenic and has more big cities if you're looking for that.

I've done this drive four times, but never all the way to Seattle. I'd go Nashville to St. Louis in an easy day. St. Louis to Denver for day 2. Denver to Boise Day 3, and then rock into Seattle on another easy day. You have to see the Experience Music Project Museum in Seattle. It's the best thing somebody with too much money has done since Leland Stanford founded a little college in Palo Alto.

Holiday Grinch said...

1. Get a copy of "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon and read it.
2. Travel the backroads and take an extra couple of days.
3. Think about trying to put together an itinerary based on visiting with bloggers all along the way.
4. Have an unforgettable trip!

Kerry Woo said...

Great suggestions!

Thanks Sarcasto for the affirmation.

CeeElCee - I'm too old for "weed, whites and wine". I'm just waitin' on the sign to go... already got the thumbs up (boss man says Yes )

Karen - great advice - I'll check out the book from Amazon.

Holiday Grinch said...

Hey, I had to start a blog to leave my comment here, some come visit me at Holiday Grinch!
(I'm trying to learn how to set up a blogroll, etc. but not being successful yet).
Karen

Nashville Knucklehead said...

Eat locally.

Go here.

http://roadfood.com

Post your itinerary. You will get tons of advice. This place was integral in my BBQ research. Very friendly folks.