Friday, April 21, 2006

Friday Flashback "This Must Be The Place"

Thanks to YouTUBE, I'm going to post a music video every Friday... just for kicks.

Here's a live performance of Shawn Colvin with Strings Attached - "This Must Be The Place" which is a great cover from the Talking Heads album: Speaking in Tongues.

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me round
I feel numb - burn with a weak heart
(so I) guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground
Head in the sky
It's ok I know nothing's wrong . . nothing



"I used to be able to set aside a few days and just lock myself in my house and not even answer the phone," Colvin says of her songwriting process. "I can't do that anymore. So I went to a little studio, did some vocals, played guitar on the couch and sat around with my notebooks. Prior to that, I had gone to New York a couple of times and just did some powwowing."

Which isn't completely out of character for Colvin, whose ambient folk reflects her wanderlust, detailed by Joni Mitchell-like musings on love, life and loss. Born in Vermillion, South Dakota, she taught herself guitar at the age of ten before moving to London, Ontario, and then Carbondale, Illinois, where she formed the Shawn Colvin Band. After relocating to Austin and retiring briefly from music, Colvin moved to New York in 1983, and garnered a laudable following among the burgeoning neo-folk movement. Rolling Stone / JESSICA ROBERTSON

(Note: since the video takes a while to load based on your bandwidth, just hit play, then pause... while the video buffer gets full.)

Shawn Colvin Web Site

No comments: