Thursday, February 16, 2006

Why would anyone want to work at Dunder-Mifflin?



Bob Sassons over at the TV Squad asks a great question: Why would anyone want to work at Dunder-Mifflin?

I cringe every time I watch The Office. I want to intervene into the lives of these people. Go right into their office, or at least e-mail them (if Michael isn't monitoring the e-mails they get) and implore them to leave that awful company at once. It seems to me that none of these people could possibly get paid a lot of money, so what makes them stay there? The wonderful atmosphere (ugh)? The fun coworkers (not really)? The great boss (ahem)? It's almost the ultimate example of the lame, tedious, soul-sucking office you hear so much about. I've worked in a couple of offices like that, and it was the worst time of my life.

Michael is one thing. He gets paid well and seems to be on some blind corporate career track (though I think that even he would improve as a person if he left the company). But it's the other characters, like Jim and Pam, who I worry about. They should be working some place else before they wake up 5 years from now in the same crappy job.

Dwight, however...I don't know what could help him.

---

For me personally, I've learn over the years three tell tale signs that will sink your longevity at a job:

1) Never work for a company that has no health insurance. (They just don't care)
2) Never work for a company that has no employee manual. (The rules keep changing)
3) Never work for a boss that you go to church with. (Too messy spiritually when he is your boss and Poncious Pilate)

---

Why would anyone want to work at Dunder-Mifflin? To be the office prankster would be my motivation. And it would be unemployment any day.

No comments: