Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Cult of Mac update (Free at last)



After drinking too much XP blue screen of death KoolAid laced with viruses and spybots, I made the switch and rejoined the Cult of Mac this week.

I simply love my new Apple iMac G5 with the 20" screen, 500 gb of hard drive space and fast 2.1GHz PowerPC G5 speed with the 1.5 memory of ram!

Lot's of goodies were built in such as a built-in iSight camera, AirPort Extreme Card, USB and firewire connections, a SuperDrive (CD-RW, DVD-RW), s-video port (for playing DVDs on a TV or external monitor), and incredible Apple software.

The keyboard and mouse is a hurdle... they are both bluetooth driven (wireless) without all the extras that I have on my big feature laden Microsoft wireless keyboard. But over time, I'll get my brain rewired for all of the Mac commands. The biggest challenge is unlearning the right click, "save target as" mouse reflex!

While repopulating iTunes, I downloaded 46 mp3s at the same time! That's fast in a serious way... In the new Cult of Mac, (I've strayed away from Macs around 1990 having purchased my 1st Mac back in 1984... 128K of ram for $2500.00) I'm having to get acclimated to the new key commands and all of the new eye candy along with the settings and differences between Outlook and Entourage. The only bummer is that Napster and to my wife's chagin - Bookworm - is not compatible with the Mac OS.

So I'm using the old Windows XP box for blogging (like now), Napster tunes and misc. daily chores like software conflicts, daily registry updates, delete as junk email watches, viruses, spybot and spyware infections with library updates, endless submit reports to Microsoft device driver crashes, tweaking and under the breath cussing...

I'm having a tech guy come over to set up a network to tap into the laser printer and my massive collection of mp3s... So as the Psalmist sang, God has turn my mourning into dancing! I'm free at last, thank God I'm free at last!

"It is the blessing of the Lord that makes rich and He adds no sorrow to it." Proverbs 10:22

No comments: