Saturday, October 29, 2005

Cult Of Mac Blog - IPod is Bigger Than Jesus?

Posted by Picasa

The CultofMac blog poses the question - is the IPod is Bigger Than Jesus?

"The iBelieve is a $13 cap and lanyard for the iPod shuffle that turns the player into a cross when hung around your neck.

The site, which is very slick, appears to be genuine -- at first glance. But there's something fishy about it. First off, the site says:

'Inspired by the world's obsession and devotion to the iPod, iBelieve is a replacement lanyard for your Shuffle. It is a social commentary on the fastest growing religion in the world.'

This clearly refers to the iPod -- the iPod is the fastest growing religion in the world.

Then there's the 'biblical' quote in the upper right corner, taken from '2 Jobs 3:15.' It reads: 'But now bring me a man who plays music. And when the man played music, the groove came upon them.'

According to BibleGateway, the quote is a version of 2 Kings 3:15, which says: ''But now bring me a man who plays music.' And when the man played music, the power of the Lord came upon Elisha.'"

I have mixed feelings on this - first of all, I get iPod lust, check out eBay and stop by the Apple store to finger the various iPods... then I walk away. I guess the reason I don't have an iPod yet is - certainly the price of the device; and all I music I listen to is mainly at my desktop PC via Napster, or on my laptop via Napster or MusicMatch or in my car with various CDs...

On the other hand, I love the creative use and accessories available for the iPod! So my likely choice will be a shuffle any day now - After listening to JackFM 96.3 (the radio format that has a shuffle format), it just proves that I need to listen to my own shuffle list - no Southern Rock on my playlist!

Anyway, since I listen to a lot of Christian music, I would probably purchase the iBelieve laynard...

No comments: