Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Day 13 of 100 blogs in 100 days



Day 13 of my endeavor to hang out and visit 100 blogs in 100 days...

Express thyself! Tim W. has a way with words... His blog, Mother Tongue Annoyances is: "A weblog devoted to sharing my literary and linguistic pet peeves with the English-speaking world at large."

This blog entry from Tim caught my attention:

"Some blog authors tend to swear quite a bit in their blog posts. Cuss, in other words. Or use profanity. Or use expletives. Fill in the blank with whatever euphemism you care to supply. I tend to prefer the noun expletive, as its definition, according to Answers.com, is "a word or phrase that does not contribute any meaning but is added only to fill out a sentence or a metrical line.

That definition is chiefly why I choose not to use profanity in this blog. In most cases, these four-letter words do not add anything substantive to the message that I am trying to relate to you."

Thank you Tim! I would say to bloggers that cuss a lot - TAKE a CHILL PILL ... we're not in kindergarten anymore...

Besides Tim's little editorial, there are short essays on neologisms, colloquial expressions, use of the term of endearment "dude" and anecdotes. Before you tune out, I look at this blog and Tim as the English class and teacher I wish I had back in school. The English language has been butchered over the years, and I think it worthy to celebrate our use of words in a proper way... Fo' Shizzle!

Photo source: under current art

No comments: